Reef Restoration Masterclass Koh Tao, Thailand
Join Reef Ecologic for an exciting workshop into the innovative world of Reef Restoration. This Reef Restoration Masterclass is designed to equip you with the knowledge, skills and tools you need to successfully and responsibly plan, assess and implement reef restoration projects. We have partnered with leading coral reef experts to deliver a world-class training opportunity.
Due to the outbreak of COVID-19 and associated limitations on travel, we have postponed out Reef Restoration Masterclass until a later, yet to be determined date.
Reef Restoration Masterclass
Koh Tao, Thailand- POSTPONED Date to be determined 2020
Reef restoration, and its effective implementation, is rapidly becoming an important element of reef conservation and management. Combining the latest scientific knowledge with practical experience from the field, this workshop is designed to improving the knowledge and skills of reef scientists, managers, educators and those interested in making a difference for the future of coral reefs and communities.
Aims of this workshop:
- Sharing knowledge of Reef restoration methods and techniques
- Communications and collaboration about reef health
- Learning about the wonder of the reef through immersive fieldwork with experts
- Opportunities for participants to co-design future reef restoration courses and projects
- Have fun and enjoy the amazing environment in Koh Tao, Thailand.
- Improve your SCUBA and snorkelling skills.
*note: in water activities will be conducted primarily on SCUBA. You must be able to SCUBA dive to participate in this program.
Introducing Reef Ecologic
This Reef Restoration Masterclass is designed to equip you with the knowledge, skills and tools you need to successfully and responsibly plan, assess and implement reef restoration projects. Underpinned by the latest research findings and based on the Reef Resilience Network’s Online Reef Restoration Course, the program is built on a wealth of practical experience with coral restoration and reef management, we have partnered with leading coral reef experts to deliver a world-class training opportunity.
Designed for professionals and community leaders involved in coral reef management or reef restoration, the Reef Restoration Masterclass will provide online instruction and technical know-how through hands on reef restoration training by industry experts including former staff of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority and a founder of many pioneering reef restoration projects in Thailand. Run over 5 days, the Masterclass will involve a combination of lectures, discussions and hands on restoration activities to provide a collegial and experience-based learning environment.
Key topics covered in the Masterclass include:
- Principles for design and delivery of successful restoration projects
- Current and emerging methods for coral reef restoration*
- Methods and site selection*
- Developing sustainability and community of practice
- In-water demonstrations and hands-on application of reef restoration*
* Indicates hands-on activities
The Reef Restoration Masterclass is being convened by Reef Ecologic, a leading reef sustainability practice based in the that has a long history in reef restoration and training and adaptive management, in conjunction with local conservation organisations New Heaven Reef Conservation Program, Eco Koh Tao and Crystal Dive and based on training offered by the international restoration organisations the Coral Restoration Consortium and the Reef Resilience Network.
- Friday Aug 21 9:00-16:00 Introductions & Opening Remarks, followed by Welcome Reception. Afternoon snorkel, ID practise and field research
- Evening reception 18:00-20:00 (6pm to 8pm)
- Saturday Aug 22: Introduction to Coral Restoration, Introduction to local coral restoration methods and techniques coral restoration including site and species selection (in-water)
- Sunday Aug 23: Coral restoration methods. Coral nursery establishment. Fragment collection and preparation session 1 (in-water).
- Monday Aug 24: Enhanced larval recruitment. Using sexual reproduction techniques in reef restoration. . Coral nursery establishment. Fragment collection and preparation session 2 (in-water).
- Tuesday Aug 25: Restoration project management workshop. Final presentations. Complete Nursery propagation and outplanting (in-water).
- Concluding with a Final Reception BBQ.
- Wednesday Aug 26-7: Optional additional dives to some of Koh Tao’s premier dive sites. (Additional fees apply).
Who is this for?
The workshop is ideal for people with a science background or who live and work in the GBR (indigenous, tourism, fishing). Priority will be given to participants who are involved in reef management, stewardship or reef restoration activities. Places are limited given the important topic, great location, and budget price. Applications will be accepted until November 20 or until fully subscribed.
We welcome partnership organisations as part of this important workshop. For more details on partnership opportunities please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
Cost and inclusions
Cost: US$1490 (Excluding accommodation US$1090) (Local rates are available)
Inclusions: 6 nights accommodation on Koh Tao (Aug 21-25), meals L(5), D2), workshop materials, all snorkel and dive equipment and a minimum of 6 scuba dives.
Additional accommodation available upon request.
Prerequisites: Most of the in-water elements of this program will be conducted on SCBA. It is recommended you are able to scuba dive to a reasonable proficiency with good buoyancy control. Need scuba diving training, we can provide full PADI dive training on Koh Tao to prepare you for the workshop. Please contact us to inquire about pre-workshop dive training.
Max participants: 15 (minimum 6). If minimum numbers are not achieved, a full refund of any payments will be provided (excluding any transfer charges).
Registrations: Places in this Masterclass are strictly limited to maximise value to participants. Register early to secure your place. Applications will be accepted until August 1st, 2020 or until fully subscribed.
Insurance: Please note all participants will be required to show evidence of insurance (travel insurance) that covers SCUBA diving. Failure to show evidence of insurance will be unable to participate in ANY activities.
50% non-refundable deposit is required upon registration.
Full payment required by 1st August 2020. No refunds provided following the receipt of full payment.
Watch the video summary of our past workshop on Orpheus Island