Research and monitoring
Whether you require information to support project development or a status report following an environmental disturbance, Reef Ecologic specialises in applied research that delivers answers to real-world problems.
From ecological and social monitoring for environmental performance to research and development, Reef Ecologic can design, review and implement scientifically robust and cost-effective monitoring programs.
We specialise in design and delivery of research and monitoring programs that facilitate participation by community and stakeholders as a foundation for fostering stewardship and more durable conservation outcomes.
Key areas of expertise:
- Environmental research and monitoring
- Survey design and implementation
- Baseline surveys and habitat mapping
- Environmental compliance monitoring and environmental audits
- Citizen science and participatory monitoring
- Phoenix Islands Protected Area Monitoring and Evaluation Plan (Kiribati)
- Coral bleaching response survey for the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
- Training and implementation for rapid assessment of coral bleaching in the Maldives
In December 2017, Reef Ecologic were instrumental in supporting the Reef Restoration Foundation in the establishment of the first coral nurseries on the Great Barrier Reef at Fitzroy Island, Cairns. In collaboration with a team of volunteers, local businesses, organisations and researchers established the first coral nursery on the Great Barrier Reef.Read More
We can help you acquire and use the information you need to understand and solve real-world environmental in an engaged and sustainable way. We work with businesses and government agencies to design, review and implement scientifically robust monitoring programs.Read More
Reef Ecologic staff have initiated citizen science projects to increase understanding of marine protected species and sharks. The Great Australian Shark Count reported over 12,000 sightings of 10 species of sharks including the Coral Sea during a two year period and won accolades for their partnerships and involvement.Read More