Reef Restoration Training Hub
The Restoration Training Hub is an entry point for any person seeking training on reef restoration. The training hub provides information and guidance on different reef restoration methods and techniques, links to key research publications and opportunities to participate in face to face and online training.
The Reef Restoration Training Hub is designed to provide
- resources for restoration practitioners to refine their methods or learn new methods
- a starting point for (budding) reef restoration practitioners to lean about and develop their reef restoration training knowledge and skills.
- a resource for managers, consultants, policy developers to discover critical background information for decision making.
Explore the Hub to discover reef restoration manuals including standard operating procedures, join training and capacity building programs, discover current developments in the field and inquire about how to implement your own reef restoration project.
NOTE: This ‘training portal is designed to work in tandem with the ICRI Restoration Initiatives portal. which has information on initiatives, databases and courses.
The Global Restoration Review
In 2018-19 Reef Ecologic, as part of NESP funded project supported the development of the Global Coral Restoration Review. In this review we described coral restoration projects throughout the tropics, with a surprising diversity of coral species and morphologies used. This review presents the most comprehensive summary of active coral restoration methods to date, and we hope it will be a valuable resource for coral reef scientists worldwide.
- Link to the Paper: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0226631
- Website: https://www.gbrcoralrestoration.org/restoration-database
- The website has links to paper, visualisation and the data but if you want individual links, here they are 🙂
- Video & infographic: here
Reef Restoration Online Training Course
The online course in coral reef restoration is presented by The Nature Conservancy’s Reef Resilience Network. Through this course, participants learn critical background information on reef restoration good practices. The course covers six lessons that will provide a solid theoretical basis for reef restoration implementation including:
- Introduction to Restoration & Project Planning
- Restoring Coral Populations with Coral Gardening
- Restoring Coral Populations with Larval Propagation
- Restoring Reef Structure for Coastal Resilience
- Rapid Response and Emergency Restoration
- Monitoring for Restoration
Technical Manuals and Other Resources
Great Barrier Reef Local-Scale Coral Restoration Toolkit (Link)
ICRI have compiled some of the most recent guidelines on coral reef restoration. A link to the latest technical manuals can be found on the ICRI Website HERE.
The National Academy of Sciences also has some fantastic resources (publications and video explainers) available here.
In Person Training
Next Event: November 12 – November 15, 2021
Combining the latest scientific knowledge with practical experience from the field, the Reef Leadership and Restoration Workshop at
Orpheus Island Research Station is designed to improve the knowledge and skills of reef scientists, managers, educators and those interested in making a difference for the future of coral reefs and communities. Great Barrier Reef, Australia
Read more HERE