Skills and Specialties
- GIS mapping and remote sensing
- Database management and development
- Environmental impact assessment
- Reef restoration
- Scientific writing
- Vulnerability assessment
- Website management
- Graphic design
- Statistical analysis
- PADI Divemaster
- PADI specialty wreck and enriched air diver
- QLD recreational boat driving license
- Reef Check ecodiver and surveyor
Favorite Marine Organism?
Plectorhinchus chaetodonoides juvenile (Painted Sweetlips)
Environmental Research Scientist/ GIS Specialist
BSc • University of the Philippines
MSc • James Cook University
Al is a marine biologist from the Philippines with over 10 years of experience working with academe, government, private companies and non-government organisations on research projects and consultancies. He is a well-rounded environmental research scientist with a diverse set of knowledge and skills in marine science, fisheries, climate change, habitat and vulnerability assessment, ecology, and environmental management. He has a Master of Science degree in Marine Biology from James Cook University. He specializes in the application of geospatial information using GIS and remote sensing in the coastal and marine environment.
He has worked on different local and international Reef Ecologic projects such as impact assessment on corals in Mozambique, literature database and development of a coastal and marine strategy for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, reef restoration, citizen science and reef surveys. He is very passionate in using his knowledge and skills to help manage the marine environment and preserve the reefs for future generations.
- Cook, N., Smith, A., Songcuan, A., Cassidy, D., Sartori, G., & McLeod, I. (2021). Lessons learned from small scale coral outplanting interventions at a restoration site on the Great Barrier Reef. Ecological Management & Restoration. https://doi.org/10.1111/emr.12547
- Smith, A., Cook, N., Songcuan A., Sartori, G., Cassidy, D., Deane, M., Teroroko, T., Rimon, B. (2020). Ecological and infrastructure assessment of Kanton (Abariringa) Island, Phoenix Island Protected Area, Kiribati. Atoll Research Bulletin, 627, 1-34.
- Francisco, R.R.T., Blanco, A.C., Manalili, M.A.G., Gatdula, N.B., Songcuan, A., Landicho, K.P.C., Reyes, R.B., Apura, R.J.A. (2018). Mapping of blue carbon ecosystems: Effect of proximity, activity types and frequency of visits in the accuracy of participatory maps. The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences.
- Jacinto, M.R., Songcuan, A., Yip, G.V., Santos, M.D. (2015). Development and application of the fisheries vulnerability assessment tool (Fish Vool) to tuna and sardine sectors in the Philippines. Fisheries Research, 161, 174-181. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2014.07.007
- Songcuan, A., Santos, M.D. (2013) Adaptive strategies in coping with climate variability: Experience of Philippine traditional indigenous fishers. Fish for the People, 11(3), 1-9.